The Impact of Heart Health on Wound Healing
1 in 3 Americans suffer from a cardiovascular disease. Coronary artery disease, peripheral artery disease and other issues with the heart and vessels can cause blockages that obstruct the flow of blood.
- Decreased blood flow hinders the delivery of oxygen and nutrition needed for proper wound healing.
- An unhealed wound on the foot or leg can lead to amputation.
- 82% of leg amputations are due to poor circulation of the affected limb.
What does cardiovascular disease include?
- Coronary artery disease (CAD)
- Heart disease
- Heart failure
- Heart valve problems
- Heart attack
- Peripheral artery disease (PAD)
- Vascular disease
- Take off your socks at your next checkup and speak up about any problems with your legs or feet.
- If you or a loved one is living with a wound and cardiovascular disease, find a Wound Care Center® near you.
American Heart Association
Center for Disease Control and Prevention